Thursday, October 17, 2019

Wattstax the movie, adult language, but a great film


``Wattstax’’ from 1973 A Film Not to be Missed.
By GOD ALMIGHTY // Tracy Gibson

     I wrote a little about this before, but I can’t help but write a little more.  There is a trailer from an ole movie called ``Wattstax,’’ which is a cornucopia of segments centering on the comedy of Richard Pryor, Isaac Hayes, and different musical groups – a BLACK movie that I remember fondly from the time I worked at the Cinema 19 then at 19th and Chestnut Street here in Philadelphia.
     There are two reasons why I remember this fondly. One is the fact that there was a small riot at the theatre that summer in the 1970’s when the film was showing because people couldn’t get tickets and there was mass confusion and a little hysteria.  I also remember this because I was a teen-ager at the time and there was a broken glass ticket booth and there was money on the floor in the broken ticket booth and there was this BLACK teen-aged worker named Tracy Gibson ( ME ) who took $10.00 off the floor and NEVER told anyone about it except now. I wrote this in my book  ``The Re-Awakening of the African Diaspora.’’  The newer one from I think 2015 or so.
    Don’t think I am NOT embarrassed by this still until this day.  I took advantage of a situation and I PRAY GOD takes mercy for me and forgives me.
     The other reason I LOVE this ``Wattstax’’ movie is because there is a segment with the singing group, a group of beautiful BLACK women, and they sing ``Peace Be Still,’’ just in a manner I can’t even begin to tell you how fantastic they sound in this trailer of the film. These sisters bring a deeply-rooted level of authentic Soul to this traditional Gospel song that I have never seen topped by anyone else who sings this song.  I have to also tell parents that this film may not be suitable for children under 15 due to some of the language, but it is a great movie. So, when you get a chance, please see this film that is available at the Free Library of Philadelphia through the Inner Library Loan program.
** Editor’s Note: Some of the reference checks for this film were gathered from the Internet Movie Data Base. ( WWW.IMDB.ORG)
 You have to use Inner Library Loan AT THE FREE LIBRARY because the film is very old and they have this special program AT THE LIBRARY for such older films. You might be able to buy it also from the WWW.AMAZON.COM source as well for ( $10.99).    Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment